Does jumping rope burn fat? I tried a week.

I tried jumping rope every day for a week — here’s what happened.


Even though I love to exercise, I still spend much too much time at my work. Could jumping rope help? One lunch break, I rummaged through my car's boot, which houses an eclectic collection of strange and wonderful exercise equipment, looking for something fresh to keep me active during my 10-minute work breaks.

I found my jump rope by accident. It's the ideal lunchtime pick-me-up, hastily purchased during the first lockdown and since stashed at the bottom of my gym bag. I got a rope under my arm and started reading up on the advantages of jumping rope.

This glorified length of string can boost cardiac fitness, develop strength, burn calories, and enhance agility and coordination, according to research(opens in new tab). Unexpectedly, brief jump rope sessions can still provide impressive effects. I enjoy a challenge, so I decided to try jumping rope for 10 minutes each day for a week in an effort to improve my fitness. Read on for my results or go grab one of the greatest jump ropes.

Now The Question: 

Does jumping rope burn fat? 

So is jumping rope a good kind of exercise? Jumping rope is a powerful cardio exercise that improves calorie burning and weight loss, according to recent studies. Regardless of how much you exercise, lifestyle choices like getting enough sleep, managing your stress, and eating right are crucial for fat loss. Here, we go into greater detail regarding how to determine your body fat percentage and why it matters.

Cardio exercise is one of the best methods to burn fat, but research by Atkinson and Reilly (1996)(opens in new tab) suggests that timing your activity to coincide with hormonal fluctuations and the time of day may also be important for fat reduction.

The stress hormone cortisol and testosterone are at their highest in the morning, while glucose levels fall and insulin levels rise. Cardio activity, especially when done while fasting, may favor (and encourage) fat metabolism if you plan to do it in the morning. Interesting! Are you anxious? It might be your workout, according to this expert.

Jumping rope vs running

Is running preferable to jumping rope? Cardio workouts like jumping rope and running can help you lose weight, strengthen your bones, and get your heart and lungs working. However, the advantages differ and are based on your fitness objectives. Find out more about does running builds muscle and how to lose weight by running here.

Weighted jump ropes are excellent additions for boosting resistance and intensity during cardio exercises and fit nicely into a strength-training regimen. Additionally, jump ropes are evolving to be more technologically advanced, and computerized versions are improving at measuring your measurements. If increasing strength is your goal, look for the best-weighted jump ropes.



I spent a week jumping rope for ten minutes every day. Here is what transpired.
Here's what occurred after I committed to a week-long jumping rope fitness challenge.

Fun Fact

There are many jump rope applications floating around, but my favorite is the Crossrope app for jump rope training. The exercises include Tabata, interval training, and endurance work in addition to jump rope drills, bodyweight exercises, and core exercises.

I loved how fun each day's jumping rope workout was for me. My top recommendation for strength is the sweating "Thankful Tabata," which combines push-ups, extended plank, plank shoulder taps, and elbow plank with three jump rope techniques: basic, ski, and scissor. I modified some of the moves by adding a light dumbbell, but you could easily work up a good sweat without any weights.

The workouts always raced by and kept me on my toes, and I was exhausted after just 10 minutes without weights (literally).

Skill Improving

I was much more at ease using several of the jump rope methods I often shun by the end of the week. I've never been able to do double-unders, but I can now do 10 in a row, and with regular crisscrosses, I'm almost there.


It turns out that mastering a new mind-body skill keeps you healthy, despite the fact that I almost knocked two plants, the dog, and myself out in the process (she was later moved to another room). Piedmont claims that learning a new skill grows the prefrontal cortex of the brain, and as you master it, you can anticipate increased confidence and decreased fear and anxiety. The actual brain is changeable, and acquiring new abilities might lead to having a more optimistic outlook.

I did, however, learn a harsh lesson: if you want to experiment with jump rope techniques, make sure you have enough space first.

Place of work

Jump rope exercises can be performed anytime, anywhere. If I was pressed for time, I would bring my jump rope on walks with the dogs, put on the best wireless headphones, and get to work. It could also be used as a warm-up before CrossFit classes by throwing it in my gym bag.

If you're looking for ways to save money on your fitness, jump ropes are a smart addition to home gym equipment and the majority of the best apps are free to use.

My shins hurt

The blow to my shins was one result for which I was unprepared. After the third day, I became aware that the vertical loading on my lower body was causing my shins to pain when I jumped. It turns out that bad technique was at blame.

Jumping, or other vertical loadings, has been shown to be more detrimental to your joints than routine daily activity. But if done correctly, jumping rope is a relatively low-impact exercise, according to Crossrope. You should jump with a soft knee bend and land on the midsoles of your feet to ensure that the impact travels evenly through your foot in order to prevent injuries like shin splints.

I should have done more study and chosen a weighted rope, in retrospect. Weighted jump ropes make it simpler to time your leaps for anyone who isn't used to doing it every day by slowing down the rotation to assist you maintain speed and cadence.

Burn calories over expectations. 

Each person has a different level of calorie burn. Calorie burn depends on elements such your weight, minutes jumped, and jump rate, according to the Omni calculator(opens in new tab), which uses the 2011 Compendium of Physical Activities(opens in new tab) (jumps per minute). Jumping rope can burn up to 300 calories in 15 minutes and approximately 170 calories every 10 minutes.

I utilized my Yuccer jump rope, a cordless digital skipping rope that has a timer and calorie meter. I never burnt less than 150 calories in a single workout and could anticipate burning between 170 and 300. I burned about 200 kcal on average, but I always gave up in a sweaty heap.



Post a Comment

0 Comments